Manitoba Native band blocks road, demands action

Skownan band councilor Joseph Maud.

By Joyanne Pursaga ,Winnipeg Sun, October 01, 2012

A Manitoba first nation has blocked off a road to a prime fishing and hunting area on Crown land and vows the route will remain closed until the provincial government works to meet three key demands.

Skownan First Nation Coun. Joseph Maud said reserve members have intermittently blocked off Salt Point Road in the Northern Interlake region for a few years, at times charging a fee for hunters and fishermen to pass through. He said a permanent closure began last month, including the use of a gate that can be locked when no one is available to stand guard.

“We’re not letting anyone through until the province acts in good faith,” said Maud. Maud said the community wants a portion of the hunting and fishing revenues in the area, which is so rich with fish “you can catch six pickerel in 20 minutes.”

They also want coverage for flood damage they blame on the narrowing of the West Waterhen River Bridge over a decade ago and the reconstruction of that bridge to prevent further damage. Maud said flood damage has hit about one-third of his community, including 12 homes.

But Roland Mollot, a fisherman turned away on the road Saturday, said it’s simply not fair to punish outdoor enthusiasts over a political dispute. “I feel annoyed, ripped off and very, very angry,” said Mollot, who attempted to use the road to go fishing at West Waterhen River.

Mollot said he’s been asked to pay a toll to pass through the road block more than once over the past three years, even given a receipt for at times for the fee, which ranged from $5 to $10. “They shouldn’t be breaking the law and blocking the roads,” he said.

Manitoba RCMP confirmed they are checking into a few complaints about traffic disruptions in the area. “Our role is to make sure the peace is kept and we’re monitoring things,” said Sgt. Line Karpish.

Paul Turenne, executive director of the Manitoba Lodges and Outfitters Association, said the blockage is hindering tourism, cutting off the Agassiz-Waterhen River Lodge from its clientele. “The band has every right to claim land they consider their traditional territory but there’s a process in place for doing that. A road block is not part of that process,” said Turenne. “The impact is that people who have every right to fish on Crown land are being denied access to what is public land.”

Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Minister Eric Robinson could not be reached for comment Monday. In an e-mail, the province said it recently established a working group to try to resolve land and other issues with Skownan First Nation. “We’ve asked them to remove the blockade as discussions continue,” stated the e-mail.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/10/01/first-nation-blocks-road-demands-action?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=recommend-button&utm_campaign=First+nation+blocks+road%2C+demands+action

Skownan First Nation closes road used by farmers, hunters and anglers

Winnipeg Free Press, October 2, 2012

A road used by farmers, hunters and anglers has been closed by Skownan First Nation in attempt to get the attention of the Selinger government on decade-old flooding problems.

Salt Point Road has been blockaded for several weeks but only now has the community, at the south end of Waterhen Lake between Lake Winnipeg and Lake Winnipegosis, started turning away all traffic.

Councillor Joseph Maud said the dispute centres on the province’s apparent refusal to deal with flooding caused by the reconstruction of a bridge over the West Waterhen River in 1999.

“Our issues have been moving at a snail’s pace,” he said, adding Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Minister Eric Robinson and Agriculture Minister Ron Kostyshyn, MLA for the area, met with band officials during the summer.

“It sounded like things were progressing, but this is now October,” Maud said.

Maud said the road starts on the reserve before continuing to Crown land and a provincially-owned boat ramp, frequently used by anglers and hunters.

Paul Turenne, executive director of the Manitoba Lodges & Outfitters Association, said the both the band and the province have to start talking.

“I think it’s clear to everyone that this is not the diplomatic way to go about negotiations,” he said.

RCMP say they have got a few complaints about traffic disruptions and are monitoring the matter.

A provincial spokesman said the province and band have established a working group to help expedite a resolution.

“Meetings are ongoing and the province remains committed to resolving all outstanding issues,” Matt Williamson said. “We’ve asked them to remove the blockade as discussions continue.”

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Skownan-First-Nation-closes-road-used-by-farmers-hunters-and-anglers–172289851.html

Posted on October 2, 2012, in Indian Act Indians and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a comment

Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started