Three men charged in connection with Highway 6 closure
CALEDONIA Three men have been charged in connection with a demonstration on Highway 6 last month to pressure the federal government to call an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women.
The demonstration at Highway 6 and the Fourth Line in the hamlet of Willow Grove led to the closure of the highway for 36 hours on the weekend of Oct. 4 and 5.
It’s the first time in memory that Ontario Provincial Police have charged anyone in connection with the closure of Highway 6, which was also shut down at the height of the 2006 land claims dispute at Douglas Creek Estates in Caledonia. It was closed in 2008 to support natives in a standoff with police in Eastern Ontario and in 2013 to support natives in a standoff with police in New Brunswick.
Last month’s demonstration was part of a series across the country, including one that closed Main Street outside the John Sopinka Courthouse in downtown Hamilton.
OPP Constable Mark Foster said in a release Wednesday that it affected public safety, and police responded with officers from Haldimand County and the West Region OPP.
“Due to the safety concerns,” he said detour routes were set up at the Third Line to the south and the Fifth Line to the north.
He noted the closure continued into the evening of Sunday, Oct. 5 and after that, the highway was reopened to the public.
Foster said police began a criminal investigation as a result of “the interference on the highway” and it led to three people being charged.
At the time, demonstrators insisted they were not closing the highway.
William Monture of the Six Nations Men’s Fire told the Grand River Sachem the demonstrators were allowing traffic to travel on the highway and would not impede emergency vehicles. They indicated they were only stopping vehicles long enough to give the driver a flyer detailing the issue.
“We didn’t shut this highway down,” Monture told the paper. “We’re here to bring awareness… this is a peaceful demonstration.”
Charged with mischief are William Monture, 58, of the Six Nations of the Grand First Nation; Glenn Green, 52, of the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nation; and Cody Fero, 35, of Hamilton.
The three men will appear in Cayuga provincial court at a later date to answer to the charges.
Posted on November 6, 2014, in Indigenous Women and tagged Caledonia, missing murdered women, MMIW, native blockades, native protests, six nations, stolen sisters, violence against Indigenous women. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.