Kinder Morgan loses bid to extend injunction on Burnaby Mountain
Judge throws out civil contempt charges against those arrested for breaking the injunction
CBC News, Nov 27, 2014
An application by Kinder Morgan to extend an injunction keeping protesters away from two drilling sites on Burnaby Mountain was rejected by the B.C. Supreme Court Thursday, meaning the site must be cleared of excavation work by Dec. 1.
In denying the company’s request to extend the injunction to Dec. 12, the judge also ruled that all civil contempt charges against those arrested so far have been thrown out due to errors in the injunction.
Earlier, anti-pipeline protesters had locked themselves to the front doors of the court in an attempt to block Kinder Morgan’s access.
Sheriffs quickly redirected members of the public, including lawyers representing Kinder Morgan, to other entrances, leaving the protesters locked to the doors.
Lawyers told the court the cost of policing the Kinder Morgan work sites on Burnaby Mountain and arresting more than 100 anti-pipeline protesters over the past week is running at about $100,000 a day for the RCMP, but that figure was not confirmed by the RCMP.
All this came a day after the B.C. Civil Liberties Association said dozens of arrests made under the injunction were not legal because the police line did not match the area covered by the injunction.
Josh Paterson, executive director of the civil liberties association, said in written release there is confusion over the exact GPS co-ordinates of the zone, and it’s causing problems for both demonstrators and the RCMP.
First Nations leader arrested
Meanwhile, Grand Chief Phillip Stewart of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs joined the ranks of the more than 100 protesters arrested for violating the injunction on the mountain.
Kinder Morgan obtained the injunction two weeks ago to remove protesters camped out at the site. The company has since begun test drilling at the site to determine if it can bore a tunnel under the mountain as a new route for its proposed expansion of its existing Trans Mountain pipeline.
Also Thursday, Kinder Morgan confirmed that it has completed work at one of the two drilling sites on the mountain. Yesterday, the company confirmed that initial test results indicate the mountain is stable enough for them to proceed with a tunnel, if its plans to reroute the pipeline are approved by the National Energy Board.
Posted on November 27, 2014, in Oil & Gas and tagged Burnaby Mountain arrests, Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, Kinder Morgan, Kinder Morgan Burnaby Mountain protests, TransMountain pipeline expansion. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.