Gerald Stanley, accused in the shooting death of Colten Boushie, has been granted bail
Saskatoon StarPhoenix, August 19, 2016
Gerald Stanley, the 54-year-old man charged with second-degree murder in the Aug. 9 shooting of 22-year-old Colten Boushie on a rural property near Biggar, Sask. has been released from custody.
In a written decision released late Friday afternoon, Battleford Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Neil Gabrielson ordered Stanley to post $10,000 cash bail and remain within a four-mile radius of his home on electronic monitoring unless he obtains written permission to leave from a probation officer.
The judge ordered Stanley to have no contact with Boushie’s family and not travel within a 20-mile radius of the Red Pheasant First Nation, where the family lives, except in an emergency.
“There is no doubt that the offence of second degree murder is extremely grave but there are numerous cases of second degree murder where interim release is granted,” Gabrielson wrote in his decision.
“If Parliament had wanted to ensure that anyone charged with second degree murder would not be eligible for release it would have said so.”
According to Boushie’s uncle, Alvin Baptiste, Boushie and four friends had been swimming and drinking at a lake on Aug. 9 and pulled onto Stanley’s property after they experienced car trouble on their way home to the Red Pheasant First Nation. Following a heated argument, Boushie was shot while still in the car.
RCMP said the people in the car with Boushie were taken into custody as part of a related theft investigation, but no charges were laid.
The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations has publicly criticized the RCMP for the way it presented the shooting in a news release the day after the incident and has called the shooting a “crime based on race.”