Judge to Rule on Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s Bid to Stop Oil Pipeline by Sept. 9

Dakota Access Pipeline warrior bulldozer

Lakota warrior stands in front of bulldozer during blockade of construction work on Dakota Access Pipeline.

By James MacPherson and David Pitt, Associated Press, Aug 24, 2016

BISMARCK, N.D. —A ruling in the request by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe to stop a four-state oil pipeline under construction near their reservation will come by Sept. 9, a federal judge said Wednesday.

The tribe is challenging the Army Corps of Engineers‘ decision to grant permits for Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners’ $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline, which crosses through four states, including near the reservation that straddles the North Dakota-South Dakota border. U.S. District Judge James Boasberg listened to argument and said he’d rule next month.

Also Wednesday, a Texas company that’s building an oil pipeline across four states was told by the Iowa Utilities Board to stay away from the properties of 15 Iowa landowners until Monday to give board time to review legal issues involving a lawsuit.

The $3.8 billion pipeline, which will run 1,168 miles through Iowa, Illinois, North Dakota and South Dakota, has generated legal challenges and protests, most aggressively in North Dakota and Iowa. Growing protests and increased tension over the pipeline that will cross the Missouri River near the Standing Rock Sioux reservation has led to 28 arrests.

Wednesday’s hearing in Washington, D.C., attracted dozens of protesters, including actresses Susan Sarandon and Shailene Woodley. Sarandon said the pipeline creates a “dangerous situation” that threatens the tribe’s drinking water.

“Everyone needs water and I’m very grateful to the Standing Rock Tribe for making this clear that this has to stop,” Sarandon told The Associated Press. “Now it’s our turn to support them and make things right.”

The Iowa board told Dakota Access that it must to provide detailed information about the construction progress in Iowa, as well as more information about costs the company will incur if it’s required to work around the landowner’s parcels. Dakota Access previously estimated the cost to move construction crews and equipment around the 15 parcels at more than $500,000 for each.

A company spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a message.

The Iowa Utilities Board will hear arguments Thursday on the landowners’ motion to halt construction on their properties until a court can rule on their lawsuit, which challenges the board’s authority to allow forced condemnation of farmland for a privately owned pipeline project under eminent domain laws.

Earlier this month in Iowa, construction equipment at several construction sites was set on fire, causing more than $1 million in damage. Protest groups in the state denied responsibility, but said they plan to continue peaceful demonstrations against the project.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/iowa-board-halts-pipeline-work-15-landowners-parcels-41619372

An earlier article on the arson attack:

Arson Targets Bakken Oil Pipeline in Iowa, Causes Millions in Damages

 

Advertisements

Posted on August 24, 2016, in Oil & Gas and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. Reblogged this on eyewitness and commented:
    This is IMPORTANT NEWS!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: