UNsettling 150: A Call to Action
IDLE NO MORE & DEFENDERS OF THE LAND: CALL TO ACTION
UNsettling Canada 150
In honour of Arthur Manuel, we call for a National Day of Action in support of Indigenous self-determination over land, territories, and resources
July 1, 2017
On January 11, 2017, our mentor, colleague, friend and brother, Arthur Manuel passed onto the spirit world at the age of 65.
Arthur Manuel was organizing to defend his Secwepemc peoples’ and all Indigenous Peoples’ Rights up to the day he was admitted into the hospital. In the last article he wrote before his passing he referred to the Canada 150 celebrations by stating: “I do not wish to celebrate Canada stealing our land. That is what Canadians will be celebrating on July 1, the theft of 99.8% of our land, leaving us on reserves that make up only 0.2% of the territories given us by the Creator.”
As part of his campaign against the 150th celebration in Canada, Arthur was also planning to go to Geneva to appear before the UN Committee for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) in August 2017 when Canada is scheduled to report on its treatment of Indigenous Peoples. He was preparing a counter-report to inform the world that the Trudeau government is maintaining the colonial Indian Act and its immoral, illegal land claims policies that deny Aboriginal collective title, treaty rights and our right of self-determination. We will send our own delegation, in Arthur’s words, to “escalate the assertion of our rights from a purely domestic strategy to an international strategy across nations.” (http://redrisingmagazine.ca/whatare-you-going-to-doabout-it/.)
JULY 1 – NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION
In the spirit of Arthur Manuel, we want to make July 1 a National Day of Action. This day of action is to celebrate our Indigenous and human rights to self-determination, our lands, territories, and resources. It is also to educate Canadians about how their constitutional framework, first established 150 years ago in the British North America Act (1867), illegally confiscated our lands, territories, and resources, spawned the post-confederation Indian Act and attempted to write Indigenous jurisdiction— and Indigenous Peoples— out of existence.
This assault has not stopped. If anything, it has accelerated under the current government. Prime Minister Trudeau has been approving pipeline projects and continues to bank on the exploitation of our resources. He does not want to recognize Indigenous land rights. We will be demanding that the Trudeau government respect our internationally recognized right of self-determination, including our absolute right to Free, Prior, Informed Consent to any activities in our territories, as set out in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
This is a grassroots movement that will never accept any behind-the-scenes attempts to weaken our rights, like the closed door meetings of the Cabinet and a Ministerial Working-Group now underway with the three National Aboriginal Organizations (Assembly of First Nations, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, Metis National Council), led by Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould.
Instead of backroom manipulations, we demand:
- a new open truly Nation-to-Nation recognition process that begins by fully recognizing collective Indigenous rights and Title, and our decision-making power throughout our territories.
- full implementation of the Truth and Reconciliation Calls for Action, including rejecting the colonial doctrines of discovery and recognizing Indigenous self-determination.
- full implementation of the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples on the ground.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
We ask that you, your community, and your organization join us to send a loud and clear message to Canada and the world that we will no longer accept the colonial system of dispossession, dependency and oppression that Canada has imposed on us for the past 150 years.
- Join a national action – find one near you
- Take Local Action
- Host an event, such as a rally, or a public forum. Email us to let us know what you are planning.Use the subject “National Day of Action Event.” We’ll promote it on our Idle No More events calendar and post your pictures on social media on July 1, 2017.
- On July 1, 2017, wherever you are in Canada, take to social media
Tag us @IdleNoMore4 & the Prime Minister @JustinTrudeau and any other government official or agency related to your issue
Use hashtags: #UNsettleCanada150 #SupportIndigenousSelfDetermination #Resist150 #UNDRIPInCanada #FPICInCanada.
Change your Facebook banner to promote this campaign and your activism (see attached banner)—keep it up as long as you like!
Wear Indigenous Rights red & post a picture of yourself taking action to the Idle No More Facebook page.
NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION (JULY 1, 2017) ENDORSED BY:
- Family of Arthur Manuel
- Defenders of the Land Network
- Idle No More Network
- Indigenous Network on Economies and Trade
- The Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous Peoples
- Indigenous Climate Action
- Unist’ot’en Camp
- No More Silence
- No One Is Illegal – Toronto
- No One Is Illegal – Vancouver Coast Salish territories
- Rising Tide North America
- Immigration Legal Committee – Law Union of Ontario
- Algonquins of Barriere Lake First Nation
- Wolastoq Grand Council
- Dr Lynn Gehl
- Barriere Lake Solidarity
- Mining Injustice Solidarity Network
- Naomi Klein
- Red Nation (Albuquerque)Eagle and Condor Community Center
- Decolonize this Place
- NYC Stands with Standing Rock Collective
- The Latinx, Afro-Latin-America Abya Yala Education Network (LAEN)
- The Great Lakes Commons
- Fossil Free Guelph
- Native Land 150
- Critical Race Relations Consulting
- Aamjiwnaang and Sarnia Against Pipelines (ASAP)
- Mi’kmaq Warrior Society, Mi’kmaQ territory
- Indigenous Women’s Association of the Maliseet and Mi’kmaq Territories Inc.
- Justice for Migrant Workers (J4MW)
- The Women’s Coordinating Committee for a Free Wallmapu and Mining Injustice (WCCC)
- ALBA Canada
- The Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network
- Silence No More
- The LEAP Organizing Team
- Jean Arnold – The Analog Forestry Network
- The Punch Up Collective
Have your group join us by endorsing the Day of Action! Send your endorsements to: email@example.com
Want to host your own event in your own territory? Send us your event details. Be sure to include the venue name, venue address, city, province, time and duration of your event, event host and event host contact info. It is up to you, your group or org to provide us with up to date details for your event, should changes be necessary for your event page on the Idle No More website. Send you detailed event listing to: firstname.lastname@example.org