Activist: Maui police used excessive force despite peaceful protest

Hawaii telescope protest arrests

Police make arrests during protest against telescope construction in Hawaii. Photo: Hawaii News Now

Hawaii News Now, August 3, 2017

MAKAWAO, MAUI (HawaiiNewsNow) –

After a handful of activists were arrested Tuesday in protests against a controversial telescope planned for Haleakala, some are claiming Maui police officers used excessive force despite a peaceful demonstration.

Cell phone video from the early morning blockade shows a man who appears to have lost consciousness. Friends say that man, David Kai Prais, suffered a concussion under the pressure of an officer’s knee.

Activists are calling it an act of police brutality even though, hours earlier, authorities used a softer approach.

“Is there any possibility you can assist us by having your people move off to the side? We would appreciate it,” one MPD officer asked.

His requests to demonstrators went unanswered.

“We had these little locks on our wrists, so all I did was detach the lock to break free from the line,” protester Joseph Henderson said. “I was definitely willing to lay down my life to protect one of our most sacred mountains.”

After repeated warnings — both in English and Hawaiian — police started breaking up the activists who had linked their arms in plastic pipes.

That’s when activists say things got heated.

Officers tackled protester Kaleikoa Kaeo as he crawled across the road. Henderson also wedged himself under a semi-truck before he was hauled off in handcuffs.

By the end of the commotion, six people were arrested, and charged with Disorderly Conduct, Obstructing a Highway, Disobedience, and Resisting Arrest.

Prais was one of those arrested after he was rushed to an emergency room.

Governor David Ige responded to the protest by saying, “It’s unfortunate that there were arrests made. But we continue to look for providing a safe access for those projects that are appropriately permitted.”

The convoy eventually reached the work site where the Daniel K Inouye Solar Telescope will be. It will be the largest of it’s kind in the world when it opens in 2019.

The project manager said online, “It is our hope that we can work together while respectful of one another’s differences, and mutually revere these gifts from nature.”

There is conflicting information about the injuries suffered by David Kai Prais, but friends say he was released from the hospital and is doing fine.

Hawaii News Now reached out to the Maui Police Department for comment, but have not heard back.

Mirror delivered to giant solar telescope despite Native Hawaiian protest

Hawaii Telescope-Protest

Protesters link arms and lie down in front of a truck convoy en route to Haleakalā.

PUKALANI, HAWAIITrucks carrying the primary mirror for the world’s largest solar telescope advanced past a line of protesters in the early morning hours on Wednesday, delivering it to the top of Haleakalā, the 3055-meter summit of Maui. Just after 4 a.m. Hawaii time, several people were arrested in a peaceful demonstration that suddenly turned confrontational.

Several hours later, Thomas Rimmele, project director for the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope (DKIST), said the caravan of trucks carrying the mirror had entered Haleakalā National Park and reached Science City, a summit site for a handful of academic and U.S. Air Force telescopes. The caravan had not encountered any more obstacles on its journey, he says.

The delivery of the 4-meter mirror marks an important milestone for the DKIST, which will be the largest solar telescope in the world when it opens in 2019. Unlike the Thirty Meter Telescope, a stalled telescope project atop Mauna Kea on Hawaii Island, the DKIST project has had an easier time moving ahead, despite some protests by Native Hawaiians opposed to the development of Haleakalā, which is considered sacred. “I hope everybody was safe,” Rimmele says. “It’s unfortunate that this sort of thing happens, but it’s just a fact of life that people have different opinions and different viewpoints.”

Roads leading to the mountain’s summit were closed starting at 10 p.m. Tuesday to accommodate a convoy of trucks carrying wide loads. Protesters had planned to gather outside the telescope’s construction baseyard in central Maui, but changed plans over the weekend when it became apparent that the mirror wasn’t there. About 100 protesters decided to make their stand here instead, in a grassy area at the intersection of Kula Highway and Haleakalā Highway, where the convoy would pass by on its way up the mountain.

Protesters chanted and sang in Hawaiian as they awaited the convoy, marching in crosswalks across the road. Organizer Kaleikoa Kaeo said he wanted the group’s peaceful opposition to stand in contrast to any show of force from police. “When in doubt, chill out,” he says. At the same time, he reminded protesters what was at stake. “If we cannot protect our sacred places, don’t even think you’re free,” he told them.

Maui police were present at the protest site throughout the evening, with more than 12 police cars and about 40 officers eventually on hand. A recorded message, played in both English and Hawaiian, asked demonstrators to move and warned them that they would be arrested if they did not clear the road.

Around 2:30 a.m., after a late start, the mirror arrived, in a caravan of four heavy-load trucks and other vehicles. The four trucks carried the primary mirror, support structures, and an identical piece of glass known as a commissioning blank that is used for testing. Traveling slowly, it would take about 4 hours for the convoy to make the 65-kilometer trip to the summit—even without protests blocking the way.

Protesters chanted, sang, marched, and blocked the road with two bamboo altars on which they presented offerings of flowers and garlands in a traditional ceremony. Police stood by for about an hour, periodically coming forward to talk with protest organizers.

At 4 a.m., they moved in to clear the road. Protesters were lying down in the road with their arms linked. Police lifted them out of the way to allow the trucks to pass. Several men then rushed forward and threw themselves in front of and under the massive trucks. Police removed the men, along with several others, as protesters shouted, “auwe” (alas), and “shame.” Organizers say three men and two women were arrested. A fourth man, who was unconscious for unclear reasons but breathing, was taken to a hospital by ambulance a little before 4:30 a.m.

Construction on the DKIST began in 2012, after more than a decade of opposition by environmental and Native Hawaiian groups, who see the development of the summit as a desecration. Beyond the mountain’s spiritual and cultural significance, it has become a symbol in the movement for Native Hawaiian self-determination.

A protest in 2015 succeeded in blocking the delivery of telescope parts to the summit, forcing a convoy to turn back. Subsequent protests were broken up by Maui police, with dozens of protesters arrested.

Earlier in the evening, organizer Kahele Dukelow vowed to continue to oppose future construction and to ultimately bring existing telescopes down. “This struggle is going to go on for generations. It’s not going to stop with us,” she told protesters. “We will never accept it.”

Posted on August 3, 2017, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: