Hamilton Spectator, September 5, 2017
Ontario Provincial Police say Highway 6 in Caledonia has reopened after protesters relocated a blockade to the area on Labour Day.
The OPP and other worked with other agencies including the Ministry of Transportation to remove debris strewn across the road to open the highway just before 3 p.m. Tuesday.
The Indigenous protest barricade in Caledonia had been moved from Argyle Street to the Hwy. 6 overpass Monday afternoon. Read the rest of this entry
First Nations people have manned a blockade on the outskirts of Caledonia for three weeks.
A blockade by members of Six Nations has barred a portion of Argyle Street, the main road in Caledonia for the past 21 days.
The protest is connected to a parcel of land that was put into a federal corporation in March by Six Nations’ elected band council, allegedly reneging on an Ontario promise to return it to Six Nations people in 2006 to ameliorate the Caledonia Standoff — a protest that saw a group of Indigenous people occupy a housing development called Douglas Creek Estates. The blockade is situated near the site where violence broke out over 10 years ago. Read the rest of this entry
CBC News, August 10, 2017
Members of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy blocked Argyle Street in Caledonia on Thursday.
The group has listed several demands, most aimed at the Ontario government but one directed at the Six Nations elected band council. Read the rest of this entry
CALEDONIA Three men have been charged in connection with a demonstration on Highway 6 last month to pressure the federal government to call an inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women.
The demonstration at Highway 6 and the Fourth Line in the hamlet of Willow Grove led to the closure of the highway for 36 hours on the weekend of Oct. 4 and 5.
It’s the first time in memory that Ontario Provincial Police have charged anyone in connection with the closure of Highway 6, which was also shut down at the height of the 2006 land claims dispute at Douglas Creek Estates in Caledonia. It was closed in 2008 to support natives in a standoff with police in Eastern Ontario and in 2013 to support natives in a standoff with police in New Brunswick. Read the rest of this entry
Simcoe Reformer, Jan 17, 2013
Members of Six Nations in Ontario are protesting at wind turbine project sites in Haldimand County. “It’s a rotating protest that is going from one site to the next. So far, they’ve been to five or six sites,” Haldimand Ontario Provincial Police Const. Mark Foster told the Simcoe Reformer on Thursday afternoon. Read the rest of this entry
By Maria Babbage, The Canadian Press, Tuesday, January 17, 2012
TORONTO – Ontario needs to restart a long-stalled expansion of hydro transmission lines in the southwestern Ontario town of Caledonia despite objections from aboriginal groups, Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak said Tuesday.
The 76-kilometre hydro line has been in limbo for years because Six Nations warriors won’t let workers put up the wires.
The $116-million project was stopped in 2006 to ease tensions after aboriginal protesters occupied a residential development in the picturesque town near Hamilton, saying the land belonged to them. Read the rest of this entry