Blog Archives

Protesters say justice camp in Regina will stay up following meeting with provincial ministers

Regina justice-camp-july-1

A view of some of the teepees standing by the legislature at the Justice for our Stolen Children camp on July 1. (SRC)

Campers say government was given a number of paradigm shifting conditions

Advertisements

Justice for Our Stolen Children camp torn down by Provincial Capital Commission

stolen-children-camp-1

The Justice For Our Stolen Children Camp in front of the Legislative Building was forced to take down tents after 108 days. D.C. Fraser / Regina Leader-Post

The Justice for Our Stolen Children camp in Wascana Park is being torn down by the Provincial Capital Commission.

Chief of Six Nations calls for Indigenous jury members as trial with echoes of Colten Boushie case begins

jon-styres

Jon Styres, right, was shot and killed in Hamilton on Feb. 4. (Facebook)

Hamilton police say Jon Styres died of ‘gunshot-related injuries’ after being confronted by Peter Khill

by Dan Taekema, CBC News

The chief of the Six Nations of the Grand River says she will be watching closely as jury selection begins Monday for the trial of a Hamilton man accused of second-degree murder for allegedly shooting and killing a First Nations man.  Read the rest of this entry

RCMP ‘sloppy’ and ‘negligent’ in investigating Colten Boushie’s death, say independent experts

Colten Boushie‘The RCMP needs a lot more training,’ said Toronto-based investigator

By David Common, Chelsea Gomez, CBC News, March 6, 2018

Colten Boushie’s family wasn’t entirely surprised last month when a Saskatchewan jury acquitted Gerald Stanley of the murder of the young Cree man.

They had sensed holes in the RCMP investigation from the beginning.

“The RCMP did a botched-up job,” said Debbie Baptiste, Boushie’s mom. “They looked, and then they looked away.” Read the rest of this entry

‘Clearing the plains’ continues with the acquittal of Gerald Stanley

Colten Boushie

Colten Boushie, killed in August 2016.

Is it normal for police to tell you your son is dead, imply you have a drinking problem and search your home for clues? It seems so in Saskatchewan

David MacDonald, National Post, FEb 12, 2018

The decision by an all-white jury, presided over by a white judge, to acquit the killer of Colten Boushie, a young Indigenous man from the Red Pheasant Cree Nation in Saskatchewan, is a severe test of the settler-based Canadian legal system. Read the rest of this entry

Indigenous media website hacked after opinion article on Colten Boushie trial posted

media indigena logoIn a Feb 12 article, Media Indigena said the site may have been hacked “shortly after” publishing Indigenous commentator, Robert Jago’s commentary entitled “An all-white jury runs from justice in the trial of Gerald Stanley.”

An Indigenous current affairs website that published a story that is critical of the verdict in the trial of Gerald Stanley says it has been hacked. Read the rest of this entry

‘Not right:’ Outrage after jury finds Saskatchewan farmer not guilty in shooting

colten-boushie-gerald-stanley-side-by-side

Colten Boushie, left, was fatally shot in August 2016. Gerald Stanley, right, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder. His trial is underway in Battleford, Sask. (Facebook/Liam Richards/Canadian Press)

APTN National News, Feb 10, 2018

BATTLEFORD, Sask. – There were sobs of despair and cries of “murderer” in a Saskatchewan courtroom Friday night as a jury found a white farmer not guilty in the shooting death of an Indigenous man.

From the beginning in August 2016, Colten Boushie’s death and the second-degree murder charge against Gerald Stanley exposed an ugly side in rural Saskatchewan – landowners who blame Indigenous people for high rates of property crime and First Nations who bear the brunt of that racism and hate. Read the rest of this entry

Gerald Stanley testifies in his own defence at 2nd-degree murder trial

colten-boushie-gerald-stanley-side-by-side

Colten Boushie, left, was fatally shot in August 2016. Gerald Stanley, right, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder. His trial is underway in Battleford, Sask. (Facebook/Liam Richards/Canadian Press)

Jurors hear from farmer charged with fatally shooting 22-year-old Colten Boushie

By Jason Warick, CBC News, Feb 5, 2018

Gerald Stanley has begun testifying at his second-degree murder trial after his lawyer laid out the defence team’s case this morning in a Saskatchewan courtroom.

“No games. Gerry’s going to testify. He has to,” lawyer Scott Spencer told the jury during his opening statement Monday morning at the Court of Queen’s Bench in Battleford.  Read the rest of this entry

Racial tension hangs over Sask. as trial for farmer who allegedly killed Indigenous man looms

colten-boushie

Colten Boushie, shot to death in August 2016 by a Saskatchewan farmer.

There are fears that the trial of Gerald Stanley, charged with second-degree murder in the death of Colten Boushie, could inflame racial tensions

by Douglas Quan, National Post, Jan 26, 2018

Asked how nervous he was feeling this week, Ames Leslie, the mayor of Battleford, Sask., was cautious, saying he was hopeful “that cooler minds prevail.”

That’s because on Monday, jury selection is set to begin in one of the highest-profile, racially tinged cases the province has seen: the second-degree murder trial of a white, rural farmer accused of fatally shooting a young Indigenous man. Read the rest of this entry

Indian Summer

Colten Boushie

Colten Boushie, killed on August 4, 2016.

by Erica Violet Lee, Policy Alternatives, September 1, 2016

In November 1885, eight Indigenous men were hanged in Fort Battleford, Saskatchewan. These eight men were executed by the North West Mounted Police as part of a campaign to break down North West Resistance efforts in the prairies. Native children at Battleford Industrial School, a nearby residential school, were brought out to watch their relatives hang.

Read the rest of this entry