‘The RCMP needs a lot more training,’ said Toronto-based investigator
By David Common, Chelsea Gomez, CBC News, March 6, 2018
Colten Boushie’s family wasn’t entirely surprised last month when a Saskatchewan jury acquitted Gerald Stanley of the murder of the young Cree man.
They had sensed holes in the RCMP investigation from the beginning.
“The RCMP did a botched-up job,” said Debbie Baptiste, Boushie’s mom. “They looked, and then they looked away.” Read the rest of this entry
Is it normal for police to tell you your son is dead, imply you have a drinking problem and search your home for clues? It seems so in Saskatchewan
David MacDonald, National Post, FEb 12, 2018
The decision by an all-white jury, presided over by a white judge, to acquit the killer of Colten Boushie, a young Indigenous man from the Red Pheasant Cree Nation in Saskatchewan, is a severe test of the settler-based Canadian legal system. Read the rest of this entry
APTN National News, Feb 10, 2018
BATTLEFORD, Sask. – There were sobs of despair and cries of “murderer” in a Saskatchewan courtroom Friday night as a jury found a white farmer not guilty in the shooting death of an Indigenous man.
From the beginning in August 2016, Colten Boushie’s death and the second-degree murder charge against Gerald Stanley exposed an ugly side in rural Saskatchewan – landowners who blame Indigenous people for high rates of property crime and First Nations who bear the brunt of that racism and hate. Read the rest of this entry
Jurors hear from farmer charged with fatally shooting 22-year-old Colten Boushie
By Jason Warick, CBC News, Feb 5, 2018
Gerald Stanley has begun testifying at his second-degree murder trial after his lawyer laid out the defence team’s case this morning in a Saskatchewan courtroom.
“No games. Gerry’s going to testify. He has to,” lawyer Scott Spencer told the jury during his opening statement Monday morning at the Court of Queen’s Bench in Battleford. Read the rest of this entry
There are fears that the trial of Gerald Stanley, charged with second-degree murder in the death of Colten Boushie, could inflame racial tensions
by Douglas Quan, National Post, Jan 26, 2018
Asked how nervous he was feeling this week, Ames Leslie, the mayor of Battleford, Sask., was cautious, saying he was hopeful “that cooler minds prevail.”
That’s because on Monday, jury selection is set to begin in one of the highest-profile, racially tinged cases the province has seen: the second-degree murder trial of a white, rural farmer accused of fatally shooting a young Indigenous man. Read the rest of this entry
Saskatoon StarPhoenix, August 19, 2016
Gerald Stanley, the 54-year-old man charged with second-degree murder in the Aug. 9 shooting of 22-year-old Colten Boushie on a rural property near Biggar, Sask. has been released from custody.
In a written decision released late Friday afternoon, Battleford Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Neil Gabrielson ordered Stanley to post $10,000 cash bail and remain within a four-mile radius of his home on electronic monitoring unless he obtains written permission to leave from a probation officer. Read the rest of this entry
Saskatoon StarPhoenix, August 18, 2016
NORTH BATTLEFORD — Gerald Stanley, the man accused of second-degree murder in the farmyard shooting death of 22-year-old Colten Boushie, will remain in custody until at least Friday after a judge reserved his decision in a bail hearing.
Following a hearing Thursday afternoon that lasted roughly two hours in North Battleford Queen’s Bench Court — Stanley’s second court appearance of the day — the judge reserved his decision for at least 24 hours. Read the rest of this entry