APTN National News, May 23, 2017
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have charged Thunder Bay’s police chief with obstruction of justice and breach of trust.
According to a release sent Tuesday afternoon from the OPP, the investigation started in January at the request of the RCMP. Read the rest of this entry
Three police vehicles destroyed, officers barricaded in detachment in June 27 protest in Pikangikum
CBC News, July 10, 2015
Provincial police have arrested and charged eight people from Pikangikum First Nation in northwestern Ontario, after a protest last month destroyed three police vehicles and left officers barricaded inside their detachment.
Four adults and four young offenders were arrested and charged on July 7 or July 8 with a variety of offences.
A 30-year-old woman is facing charges of assault a peace officer with a weapon. Other charges include break and enter, mischief and breach of probation.
CBC News, July 6, 2015
A Thunder Bay, Ont., lawyer says he wants to take an Ontario Provincial Police officer to court for breaking the shoulder of a First Nations woman during her arrest.
Francis Thatcher is looking into the possibility of filing a private criminal prosecution or a civil suit against the police force and the officers who arrested Bonnie Muckuck in October 2013. Read the rest of this entry
PIKANGIKUM FIRST NATION, Ont. – Three police vehicles and the remote reserve’s police building were damaged during a violent protest following an officer’s altercation with a community member.
About 200 members of Pikangikum First Nation demonstrated outside the community’s police headquarters on Saturday.
OPP Sgt. Peter Leon confirmed the incident began when a Pikangikum Police officer used a stun gun on an individual who was interfering with an investigation.
“Later that day a group of community members who were upset with the actions of this officer began what was a peaceful protest out front of the Pikangikum police service building,” he said.
by Jim Windle, Two Row Times, June 24, 2014
CALEDONIA – Monday night, in camera, Haldimand Mayor Ken Hewitt and his council ordered the blockade put up to protect the Kanonhstaton land in Caledonia, to be removed ASAP. Claiming the order was only to clean up the appearance from Highway #6 and to make the site “accessible to emergency access,” Hewitt insists that it was not council’s intention to cause any undue stress to anyone.
However many at Six Nations believe he is upping the ante after two recent provocative incidents created by Haldimand residents, Gary McHale and Randy Fleming a week apart which brought back memories of the 2006 shut down of Argyle Street. Read the rest of this entry
March 26 2014
The same Conservative government that dismissed a federal inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women as too costly, has allocated $91.7 million over five years in its budget for a high-tech surveillance operation along the Quebec-Ontario border with the US in order to find and shut down Mohawk-run underground tobacco operations. The funds were set aside specifically for a “Geospatial Intelligence and Automatic Dispatch Centre,” which will rely on a number of different and costly surveillance technologies.
Kenneth Jackson, APTN National News, March 11, 2014
Mohawk activist Shawn Brant has asked the Ontario Provincial Police not to erase cellblock video of his stay in custody Saturday after he claims to have fallen violently ill in his cell. Read the rest of this entry
By Jason Miller, The Intelligencer, Sunday, March 9, 2014
Shawn Brant is among three people charged in connection with a confrontation between police and native protesters at the scene of a Tyendinaga Township CN Rail blockade Saturday. Read the rest of this entry