Blog Archives

Group rallies for Prince Albert prisoners

scar-rallyby Brian Fitzpatrick, Regina Leader-Post, March 1, 2017

In the wake of the deadly prison riot in Prince Albert in December, a small crowd led by the Saskatchewan Coalition Against Racism (SCAR) rallied in Regina on Wednesday to protest against ongoing conditions at the penitentiary.

The unrest at the Saskatchewan Penitentiary — thought to have first erupted over food standards — left Jason Leonard Bird, 43, dead and eight prisoners wounded after fires were lit, fittings smashed, and weapons, including firearms, used by guards.  Read the rest of this entry

Advertisements

Sask. First Nation gets $4.5M in Northwest Rebellion settlement

northwest-rebellion-1885-prisoners

Warriors taken prisoner and being escorted to North Battleford, Saskatchewan, to stand trial for their participation in the 1885 Northwest Rebellion. Some of those pictured were Wandering Spirit, Miserable Man, Walking the Sky, Apischikoos and Napaise.

Beardy’s and Okemasis First Nation offers payout to members, sets up trust fund

The Canadian Press, Feb 15, 2017

A Saskatchewan First Nation says it will receive millions of dollars in compensation on Wednesday from a settlement that stems from a dispute dating back to the 1885 Northwest Rebellion. Read the rest of this entry

200,000 litres of oil spills onto Ocean Man First Nation in Saskatchewan

estevan-sk-january-27-2016-a-pump-jack-near-estevan-sk1Saskatchewan government was notified of pipeline breach on Friday

CBC News Jan 23, 2017

About 200,000 litres of oil spilled near Stoughton, Sask., last week.

The pipeline breach occurred on First Nations land about 140 kilometres southeast of Regina. The spill covered an approximately 20-metre radius.

The provincial government was notified of the spill on Friday evening “as soon as the leak was detected,” a government email said. Media were notified Monday afternoon. Read the rest of this entry

1 dead, at least 8 injured in Saskatchewan prison riot

jason-leonard-bird

Jason Leonard Bird, 43, died Wednesday at Saskatchewan Penitentiary in Prince Albert. (Holly Lynn/Facebook)

Prince Albert inmate Jason Leonard Bird, 43, was killed

CBC News, December 15, 2016

A prisoner was killed and several people were injured during a riot at Saskatchewan Penitentiary on Wednesday.  Prison officials said three inmates were stabbed at some point during the riot in the Prince Albert prison’s medium-security unit.  Jason Leonard Bird, 43, was pronounced dead after he was brought to hospital by paramedics. Read the rest of this entry

Indian Summer

Colten Boushie

Colten Boushie, killed on August 4, 2016.

by Erica Violet Lee, Policy Alternatives, September 1, 2016

In November 1885, eight Indigenous men were hanged in Fort Battleford, Saskatchewan. These eight men were executed by the North West Mounted Police as part of a campaign to break down North West Resistance efforts in the prairies. Native children at Battleford Industrial School, a nearby residential school, were brought out to watch their relatives hang.

Read the rest of this entry

Gerald Stanley, accused in the shooting death of Colten Boushie, has been granted bail

Gerald Stanley handcuffs largeSaskatoon StarPhoenix, August 19, 2016

Gerald Stanley, the 54-year-old man charged with second-degree murder in the Aug. 9 shooting of 22-year-old Colten Boushie on a rural property near Biggar, Sask. has been released from custody.

In a written decision released late Friday afternoon, Battleford Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Neil Gabrielson ordered Stanley to post $10,000 cash bail and remain within a four-mile radius of his home on electronic monitoring unless he obtains written permission to leave from a probation officer. Read the rest of this entry

Bail decision reserved after Gerald Stanley pleads not guilty in fatal shooting of Colten Boushie

Gerald Stanley

Gerald Stanley was escorted out of North Battleford Queen’s Bench Court after his bail hearing Aug. 18, 2016. Stanley was charged with second-degree murder in the death of Colten Boushie on Aug. 9, 2016. Jason Warick / The Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Saskatoon StarPhoenix, August 18, 2016

NORTH BATTLEFORD — Gerald Stanley, the man accused of second-degree murder in the farmyard shooting death of 22-year-old Colten Boushie, will remain in custody until at least Friday after a judge reserved his decision in a bail hearing.

Following a hearing Thursday afternoon that lasted roughly two hours in North Battleford Queen’s Bench Court — Stanley’s second court appearance of the day — the judge reserved his decision for at least 24 hours. Read the rest of this entry

Sask. chiefs accuse RCMP of fuelling racial tensions in wake of deadly shooting

FARM-SHOOTING

Colten Boushie. Graphic: APTN

FSIN says initial media release issued by Mounties showed bias against shooting victim

By Tim Fontaine, CBC News, August 12, 2016

The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations says the way RCMP initially described the shooting death of an unarmed Indigenous man is fuelling racial tensions in Saskatchewan.

Colten Boushie, 22, was a passenger in a car with four other people when he was shot and killed on Aug. 9 on a farm near Biggar, Sask. His family says the group was simply going to ask for help with a flat tire. Read the rest of this entry

Muskoday First Nation declares emergency over water supply

Muskoday water tanker

The Muskoday First Nation has been relying on water trucked into the community to replenish its supplies after the normal source of treated water from Prince Albert, Sask., was closed due to an oil spill. (Muskoday First Nation/Facebook)

Water supply was halted on weekend after oil spill into North Saskatchewan River

CBC News July 27, 2016

After four days of being shut off from its normal supply of water due to an oil spill into the North Saskatchewan River, the Muskoday First Nation has declared a state of emergency.

The move was announced Wednesday afternoon when officials said the “discontinued supply of water” required “prompt action.”

About 800 band members live on the reserve, which is about 15 kilometres south of Prince Albert, Sask. The community is one of several in the area which is connected to a rural water utility that is normally supplied from Prince Albert’s water treatment plant.

Read the rest of this entry

Prince Albert, Sask., declares state of emergency over oil spill

north-sask-river-at-prince-albert

An oil slick on the North Saskatchewan River has prompted the city to shut off the intake to the water treatment plant. (Matthew Garand/CBC)

City rolling out emergency waterline from South Saskatchewan River as oil plume approaches

By Francois Biber, CBC News July 25, 2016

Prince Albert city council has declared a local state of emergency over an oil spill that threatens its water supply.

The declaration was one of the first orders of business at a special meeting of council Monday in the city of 35,000, Saskatchewan’s third largest.

A local state of emergency allows the city to evacuate neighbourhoods and take other measures to deal with the threat and helps pave the way for disaster assistance applications.  Read the rest of this entry