Charges announced by RCMP on Tuesday
CBC News, March 7, 2017
Twenty-eight people have been charged in connection with last year’s protests at the Muskrat Falls site, the RCMP announced on Tuesday afternoon.
A total of 60 charges were laid, including mischief, breaches of a court order, and taking a motor vehicle without consent. Read the rest of this entry
Land Protectors in Labrador shut down Aboriginal Affairs office in Goose Bay again over #MuskratFalls promises
by Trina Roache, APTN National News, January 13, 2017
A group of Labrador land protectors shut down the Office of Aboriginal Affairs in Happy Valley- Goose Bay early Friday morning as part of ongoing protests against the Muskrat Falls hydro-electric project.
The group blocked employees who showed up to work at 8 a.m. from entering the office for Newfoundland and Labrador’s Aboriginal Affairs, which also houses the local constituency office for the province’s Environment Minister Perry Trimper. Read the rest of this entry
Report says 5 suicides in Uashat-Maliotenam in 2015 were avoidable
By Jonathan Montpetit, Marika Wheeler, CBC News, Jan 14, 2017
Canada’s “apartheid system” of reserves shares some of the blame for a string of suicides that devastated an Innu community on Quebec’s North Shore in 2015, a coroner’s inquest has found.
Coroner Bernard Lefrançois was tasked last year by the Quebec government with looking into the deaths of four women and one man over a nine-month period in Uashat-Maliotenam, an Innu reserve near Sept-Îles, Que. Read the rest of this entry
All emergency vehicles permitted to pass through Muskrat Falls gate: protesters, Nalcor, police agree
Agreement follows worker’s transfer from worksite to hospital Friday
By Anna Delaney, CBC News, October 21, 2016
Despite the current blockade at the Muskrat Falls worksite in central Labrador, protesters say they’ve reached an agreement with Nalcor and police to let all emergency vehicles pass through the gate. Read the rest of this entry
Nalcor cancels day shift, says workers being financially affected by protest
By Anna Delaney, CBC News, October 20, 2016
Protesters are letting workers at the controversial Muskrat Falls project leave the site Thursday, but are not letting them enter.
Nalcor announced early Thursday morning the day shift at the hydroelectric project in central Labrador was cancelled due to the protesters preventing workers access to the site. Read the rest of this entry
‘This is a shift in government policy. We are raising the bar,’ says environment minister
By Marilyn Boone, CBC News, October 19, 2016
After weeks of pressure and protests, the Newfoundland and Labrador government is ordering Nalcor to remove more forest cover at the Muskrat Falls reservoir to further address concerns surrounding methylmercury. Read the rest of this entry
Group of First Nations leaders threaten legal action over Petrolia drilling projects
CBC News, October 8, 2016
A group of First Nations communities in Quebec have come out in opposition to hydraulic fracturing projects on their territories in the Gaspé and on Anticosti Island. Read the rest of this entry
Request for provisional injunction follows permanent injunction request last Friday
CBC News, July 18, 2016
An Innu community is requesting a provisional injunction against drilling for oil and gas on Anticosti Island while a judge considers its request for a permanent stoppage.
Ekuanitshit Chief Jean-Charles Piétacho requested the provisional and interlocutory injunction Monday at a court in Quebec City.
The move follows a request Piétacho made for a permanent injunction last Friday and would ensure that no drilling can take place while a judge considers that case. Read the rest of this entry
CBC News, June 14, 2016
Protesters accused of breaking a court order by refusing to leave Nalcor Energy property outside the Muskrat Falls work site have been released on bail.
The six Innu protesters were arrested over the weekend at the entrance to the Labrador megaproject.
Bart Jack, 55, told CBC News Tuesday that he and others spent a night in jail before being granted bail on Monday. Read the rest of this entry
Uashat-Maliotenam has been site of several suicides and suicide attempts in past year
CBC News, Nov 9, 2015
A First Nations chief on Quebec’s North Shore says he’s hopeful a coroner’s inquest into the suicide of an 18-year-old Innu woman — the latest in a series of suicides in the community — will offer lessons to prevent further tragedies going forward.
Nadeige Guanish, the mother of a toddler, was found dead on Oct. 31 in Uashat-Maliotenam, near Sept-Îles, Que. Read the rest of this entry