CTV News, March 16, 2016
Houston-based subsidiary of Southwestern Energy, SWN Resources Canada has pulled its presence from the province of New Brunswick.
The oil and gas company issued a statement saying its Moncton office closed Wednesday, laying off two people, including manager of the N.B. project, Chad Peters.
by APTN National News, December 7, 2015
New Brunswick’s top doctor was fired by the provincial Liberal government to clear the way for the lifting of a moratorium on shale gas exploration this spring, according to the leader of the provincial NDP.
Provincial NDP leader Dominic Cardy says a senior government source told him Eilish Cleary, New Brunswick’s now-fired chief medical officer, would stand in the way of a government decision to lift the moratorium. Read the rest of this entry
Annie Clair says the charges she faced in connection with anti-shale gas protests send a message
By Jennifer Choi, CBC News, Sept 21, 2015
Anti-shale gas protester Annie Clair had all charges against her dropped in a Moncton courthouse on Monday, almost two years after the charges were laid in relation to incidents near Elispogtog First Nation.
Clair was scheduled for a four-day trial, but the Crown dropped the charges and she walked out to a small group of clapping supporters. Clair hugged her lawyer, Gordon Allen, and thanked him for his work. Read the rest of this entry
CTV Atlantic, March 16, 2015
SWN Canada has just been granted a one-year extension on licenses they have to look for shale gas in New Brunswick.
The company’s licenses were set to expire today, but the New Brunswick government granted SWN Resources permission to extend their search.
“While a license to search gives the holder rights to the area in question, it is subject to government’s proposed moratorium on hydraulic fracturing. The moratorium will remain in place until our five conditions are addressed and the risks to our health, water and environment are fully understood,” says Energy and Miners Minister Donald Arseneault. Read the rest of this entry
Inspired by the victory of B.C.’s Tsilhqot’in Nation, Kenneth Francis of New Brunswick’s Elsipogtog First Nation wants to lead his people into court
Trina Roache, APTN National News, Oct 16, 2014
The RCMP’s watchdog is looking into hundreds of complaints stemming from protests against fracking in New Brunswick late last year. The Mi’kmaq led the fight was against provincial government sanctioned shale gas exploration by SWN Resources Canada.
Calls to the Commission for Public Complaints against the RCMP started to roll in as far back as July, 2013. And when the RCMP raided a Mi’kmaq Warrior camp on the morning of Oct. 17, it triggered violent clashes with police. By the end of the day, RCMP snipers in camouflage with rifles were hiding in the tall grass, 40 people were arrested and six police cars were set on fire. Read the rest of this entry
Benjamin Shingler, The Canadian Press/CTV News, August 17, 2014
MONTREAL — Federal officials closely tracked the fallout of an RCMP raid on a First Nations protest against shale-gas exploration in New Brunswick, at one point raising concerns it could spawn another countrywide movement like Idle No More.
Documents obtained under access-to-information legislation reveal a lengthy email chain last fall monitoring events related to a blockade near Rexton, N.B., about 70 kilometres north of Moncton.
Aug 5 2014
On Tuesday, July 29th, after over nine months in custody and an extended trial which took place over the course of several months, Mi’kmaq Warrior Society members Germaine ‘Junior’ Breau and Aaron Francis were finally sentenced for their involvement in an RCMP raid of an anti-shale gas encampment near Rexton, New Brunswick in October last year. Read the rest of this entry
Jorge Barrera, APTN National News, Aug. 1, 2014
A man from the Mi’kmaq community at the centre of intense anti-shale gas protests says he was visited Wednesday by two plain clothes RCMP officers who were asking questions about a Facebook post calling for a protest on New Brunswick Day.
Brian Milliea, a Mi’kmaq man from Elsipogtog First Nation, said the two officers showed up at his house at about 2 p.m. looking for him. Milliea was in his office at the Elsipogtog forestry department when he received a phone call from his wife saying two men wanted to speak with him. Milliea rushed home to find the two officers waiting for him.
Germain Junior Breau and Aaron Francis convicted of several charges tied to protest near Rexton, N.B
CBC News, July 29, 2014
Two anti-shale gas protesters have been sentenced to 15 months in jail in connection to a violent clash with police near Rexton, N.B., last fall.
Germain Junior Breau, 21, of Upper Rexton, N.B., and Aaron Francis, 20, of Eskasoni, N.S., were sentenced in Moncton provincial court on Tuesday on several charges.
Judge R. Leslie Jackson gave Breau 423 days of credit for the 282 days he has already spent in custody. That means he has about a month left to serve in his sentence. Read the rest of this entry